Yeah, I don't believe javac will benefit from multiple
processors. However, you can still take advantage of multiple
processors, maybe, if you can split up your compilation into two
or more independent, parallel compiles.

For example I've organized my code on a J2EE project into three
groups: code for the web application, code for the EJBs, and
code used by both (common). Once the common code is compiled,
the web app and EJBs can both be compiled, but neither of the
two depends on the other.

So, you can use Ant's "parallel" tag to make the web app and EJB
compilation targets run in parallel, which will use two
processors. The Ant output gets mixed up, but it's not a big
deal.

Also, installing and using the jikes Java compiler will speed up
your compilation significantly.

Sean