I have an action that creates a form and forwards that to a display-only
page.  After struggling many hours trying NOT to use an <html:form>, I
gave up.  Issues:

1.  <nested:root> needs more than just name.  It should include full
scope/property semantics.
2.  <nested:define>, <nested:iterate> et.al. don't like
scope/name/property in the absence of a defined root.

Possible fixes:

1.  Provide a master 'root' that lives one level above the form
defination.  As <nested:...scope> entries appear, make them peers of the
form.
2.  Implement a root stack   Nesting off of an arbitrary bean pushes the
root onto the stack and defines a new root.