1 - Make the order process quick - it should be. Then you avoid the problem.
Make user wait till it's done.
2 - Don't notify the user - let them do an enquiry to check if they want. If
your system is any 100% reliable & audited they will rely on it & won't even
want to be notified.
3 - Send the user an email when the order processing  completes. As far as I
know you can't interupt a web app from the server.
4 - Use a messaging system designed for asynchronous processing. MQ Series
(maybe Java mesagin Service).