From: Carter, Steve [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 11:09 AM
To: Struts-User (E-mail)
Subject: action and form contract

On husted.com, Ted Husted wrote:
                Do not check for null ActionForm beans in your Actions
If an Action expects an ActionForm bean, then its API contact with the
ActionMappings should require that this bean, or a subclass, be named in the
ActionMapping. The Actions contact wit the controller is that it will always
instantiate the bean before the Action is called. If either contact is
broken, the application should expose a null pointer exception so that the
problem is fixed and the misunderstanding resolved. Whether an Action
expects an ActionForm bean should be specified in its Javadoc.

Now I'm wondering if 'contact' was a type and what he meant was 'contract',
that is, in the sense of an API contract or implied constrain,
pre-condition.

(You out there Ted?)

Anyway, this seems like a good idea. I'm always complaining that exceptions
are often overused or misused in Java, and this seems like a good use: let
the exception raise havoc, in order to inform you of a really exceptional
condition, and one that should be exposed if it exists.

Steve Carter
Sr. Software Engineer
Swift Rivers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]