- mark h. nichols
- dhsv022 at dhs dot state dot il dot us

"Ooo. They've got the Internet on computers now." - Homer Simpson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/01/02 03:15PM >>>
Insert this:
        saveErrors(request, errors);
before your return statement.

-----Original Message-----
From: MARK NICHOLS [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 4:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't get ActionError back from Action class

I know it must be late on Friday or I would be able to see what is wrong
with the following code. I am trying to display the exception error message
via <html:errors/> with no luck so far.

====== Action code snippet =====

public final class TestFinishReasonAction extends Action {

        // --------------------------------------------------------- Public
Methods

        public ActionForward perform(
                ActionMapping mapping,
                ActionForm form,
                HttpServletRequest request,
                HttpServletResponse response)
                throws IOException, ServletException {

                // Extract attributes we will need
                Locale locale = getLocale(request);
                MessageResources messages = getResources();

                << snipped >>

                // instantiate an ActionError collection to hold any
messages

                try {
                        << snipped >>
                        }

                        }catch(Exception ex) {
                                if (servlet.getDebug() >= 1)
                                servlet.log(" Database Exception : " +
ex.getMessage()) ;

                                                      errors.add("dberror",
new ActionError("error.database"));

errors.add("dbException", new ActionError(ex.getMessage())) ;
                                      return
(mapping.findForward("failure"));

                        }

                // Forward control to the specified success URI
                return (mapping.findForward("success"));

        }

}

===== JSP snippet ====
<%@ page language="java" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld" prefix="bean" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>

<head>
        <title><bean:message key="finishReasonTest.title"/></title>
</head>

<h3><bean:message key="finishReasonTest.heading"/></h3>
        <bean:message key="finishReasonTest.testLink"/>

        <!-- show any errors here -->

What dumb stfw-rtfm mistake am I making?

=)

/\/\ark