Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Montag, 4. Marz 2002 18:11
An: Struts Users Mailing List
Betreff: Advice requested, what's the best way to mimic tab panes in
Struts?

Hi Folks:

We're converting much of our GUI (written in JFC/Swing) to thin client
using HTML-JavaScript and the struts framework.

I have converted a few of the simpler maintenance screens using the
framework and (thanks to you all) have learned quite a bit with struts.

There is a screen that I need to convert though which has 5 panes in a
JTabbedPane control.    Each pane refers to input in a different table but
all 5 panes together serve to obtain information about a Process Setup for
claims.    So in other words, you fill out the info for all 5 tabs and when
you hit "Ok", required field checks are performed.   If required fields are
ok, then data is gathered from each tab and the corresponding table is
updated for a total of 5 tables.   But they all belong to the same SQL
transaction.    So it is not valid to update just 1 of the 5 tables.   It's
either all or none.    So if the update/insert fails on any of the 5
tables, then the whole transaction is rolled back and the user is informed
of the problem.

With the JFC/Swing architecture, this is pretty easy to do.    With struts
it seems different.   Do I need to have 5 forms (each form mimicing a tab)
with a hyperlink of image files that look like tabs but have href's to the
5 different forms?

Here's my problem:
- Don't forms need to have a Submit button?     If so, I can't do this.   I
need to have 5 forms but one submit so that all 5 forms share the same
submit button (the 1 submit button would cause an action to take data off
of the 5 pages (or forms) and populate the tables directly.

What would be the best way to do this?    I can't use a wizard as the user
needs to be able to flip back and forth at will thru any of the 5 forms
before they hit the final "submit" button.

thanks,
Theron