You can use JavaScript only if you guarantee that every user of your
application has a browser that supports JavaScript and it is enabled.
You're probably OK if you are intranet, but with internet applications,
you never know if someone is running WebTV or something like that.

In my mind, the point of creating an object for this is to make sure I get
a date even if JavaScript isn't enabled in the user's browser.  The time
to get a date is in milliseconds I would bet.  It's not much overhead at
all.