Tony,

I too am new to struts and also to WebSphere Application Developer 4.0. (So new in
fact I am still using the Trial Edition while the purchase order goes through... =)

I started by creating projects for all the struts bits: documentation, example,
taglib, upload, etc. I downloaded and read several times the strut-by-strut example
from Ted Husted's site. (www.husted.com). Finally, in frustration at trying to
understand what other people had done I just started building a simple application. I
learned more from my trial and error attempts than I ever got from looking at the
examples. With the context of my application in mind I was able to find and reuse
code, tags, whatever, from the examples.

I purchased a couple of books that helped my understanding as well.

"JSP and Tag Libraries for Web Development" by Wellington L. S. da Silva (New Riders,
isbn: 0-7357-1095-3)
This has several chapters on Struts.

Also, "Professional JSP Site Design" (Wrox, isbn: 1-861005-51-2)
Again, several mentions of Struts, and one of the authors is Ted Husted.

Use all the resources listed on the Struts Resources page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/resources.html).

HTH,

/\/\ark

___________________________________
- mark h. nichols
- dhsv022 at dhs dot state dot il dot us

The best laid plans o'mice and men gang aft aglay...
-Robert Burns

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/12/02 04:04PM >>>
I just downloaded struts and trying to create a simple
web application and see it in action. I’m using
websphere4.0/WSAD.  What’s the best way to get
started? Should I try to get the struts example
working with websphere instead of creating my own
example? If so,  do I only need to extract the files
in
struts-example.war and start the web server?

I need to be pointed to the right direction understand
struts….thanks!