From: Pete Serafin
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 5:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Log4j Error

I am having an issue with a log utility I have written wrapping some
log4j classes. Ive read through the samples and other threads, but cant
find a resolution ( which should be simple ).  My utility class sets up
a category initializes to root and executes a static method upon
creation as follows:

public class log{

static{
    PropertyConfigurator.configure( "d:\\App\\WEB-
INF\\log4j.properties" );
}

}

I have placed my config file (log4j.properties) in the d:\App\WEB-INF\
directory. It is a basic config that looks as follows:

log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, R

#Create a rolling file
log4j.appender.R.File=example.log

# Keep 100 backup files of size 100kb
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=100

log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n

The file seems to be read in properly, but I get the error:

   log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category (root).
   log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.

What am I missing?  Thanks,

Pete Serafin