Hello,

  It looks like the web server do an error catching on a request basis rather
than on a "include" basis.
  When you use the server general mechanism, via a declaration in web.xml, the
exception is catch by the top level page where the request start. As Tiles insert
mechanism catch any exceptions and render it in place of the inserted tiles, the
server can't see it.

  When you use the exception catch mechanism on a page basis, the server can
catch it before the Tiles insert, and use your error page as expected.

   Cedric