Thanks for your response.  I have tried what you indicated and continue to
have the same problem.

Additionally, I attempted to place all of the jar files from
java_xml_pack-spring02-dev\jaxp-1.2-ea2 (dom, jaxp-api, sax, xalan,
xercesimpl, and xsltc) in my WEB-INF/lib directory and rebuilt (removing the
XERCESJAR entry for this test).  This causes the same failure with a
slightly different error stack:

        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:1763)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:1785)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:942)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXParser.j
ava:445)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(AbstractXML
DocumentParser.java:216)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.handleStartElement(XMLNamespaceBin
der.java:829)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.emptyElement(XMLNamespaceBinder.ja
va:590)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.emptyElement(XMLDTDValidator.java
:829)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLDo
cumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:748)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatc
her.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1454)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocume
ntFragmentScannerImpl.java:333)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.StandardParserConfiguration.parse(StandardParserCo
nfiguration.java:525)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.StandardParserConfiguration.parse(StandardParserCo
nfiguration.java:581)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:147)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:115
7)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1206)

In addition to ideas for what a solution to this problem, I also am open for
direction on how I can go about debugging this problem.

Thanks again for any input.