Well, I got my IDEA (http://www.intellij.com/idea) configuration set up to
run Struts under Tomcat in the debugger (thank goodness for built-in remote
debugging support!).  Compiled the Struts source, compiled the
struts-example source, started setting breakpoints and looking at things.

It turns out, as you all know, that the action names are post-mapping, so
an /action/* servlet mapping converts an URI of
/struts-example/action/logon to an action name of /logon.  It also, of
course, turns out that all HREF entries and other paths *do* include the
/action context.

Once I understood that, I was able to get rid of *.do.

Next time I won't be so quick to ask questions :-)
GOD I LOVE OPEN SOURCE!
Cheers!
Rob