Well, <%= %> doesn't really clutter your code....

Actually, what I personally prefer, after all the custom tags are said
and done, is to do this:

<% String myValue = request.getAttribuite"aksjhdkjahsd"); %>

However, all this is beside the point for dynamic content.
What I like is that TC4 finally supports dynamic includes.

<jsp:include page="/WEB-INF/include/main_template.jsp" flush="false" />

I don't know what you designers use, but mine use Dreamweaver, and so
far it has not been able to support resolving these things.  And Short
of integrating with Tomcat, I don't think It could.  The best we've
gotten that it  knows about shtml and apache includes.  So You have the
designer use dynamic includes when they give you a new template.

I think the problem is that the wysiwyg tools are not integrated with
the concept of JSP development.  Dream weaver seems to be moving there,
but with their purchase of JRun, I wonder if BEA etc are going to be
leary of contributing to a competitor.

Adam