I'm not sure of your reasons for not wanting to ActionErrors or
ActionMessages, but that is only a fraction of what might be considered the
exception handling framework in Struts.

The Exception Handling Chapter is one of the chapters that many have asked
me about and I'm working hard to get that one ready for the next release of
chapters of theserverside.com.

Chuck