If "/foo" is mapped to "FooForm" bean, you can use

<bean:write name="FooForm" property="xxx" />

without changes to your <html:form>. bean:write will look in scopes for an
object called "FooForm". This has no effect with using html:form or not -
assuming FooForm is in session or request scope !

If you've got problem with this, perhaps you don't have such an existing
bean in scope. (look at the scope you setted in struts-config.xml).
tags can work without such a bean, just displaying no initial data.

Nico