Subject: path mapping vs Tomcat webapp paths
From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 ===
What do I need to do to get path mapping to work properly under BOTH Tomcat
3 (running inside Forte as the sole application) and Tomcat 4 (running
standalone on a server deployed from "webapps/")?

At the moment, I seem to be in a "no-win" situation where I can pacify
EITHER Tomcat running under Forte or Tomcat running standalone on a real web
server, but not BOTH.

DETAILS:

Web app is auto-deployed from do.war

The app's web.xml file maps the path /do/* to Struts' ActionServlet:

<!-- http://host:8080/do/menu should launch ActionServlet with
     "/menu" as the Action path -->
<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/do/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

The struts-config.xml file defines "/menu" as an Action path:

<action type="experiment.ShowMenuAction"
  name="menuForm"
  validate="false"
  path="/menu">
  <forward name="menu" path="/menu.jsp" />
</action>

If I try to launch http://host:8080/do/menu on the server, I get a "404"
error telling me that the requested resource (/menu) is not available.

OK, I can deal with that... Since the app is deployed in webapps/do, Tomcat
must be stripping off the leading "/do" so app will see only "/menu", and
since there is no folder or file named "menu" in the app's rootdir, it's not
finding it, and failing to trigger ActionServlet. Fair enough.

However, if I try to humor Tomcat and specify "/do" twice, as
http://host:8080/do/do/menu (the first one to satisfy Tomcat and send it to
the webapp in "webapps/do", the second one to trigger the path mapping for
ActionServlet), I get a "500" error, with the specific error being that
Struts could not retrieve the mapping for "/do/do/menu"

WTF? Which way does Tomcat want it?!? Why is it stripping off the "/do"
entirely when there's just one, but leaving it duplicated when it's there
twice? What do I need to do to get path maps to work both inside Forte AND
on a real web server (where it's deployed from tomcat/webapps/do)?