You must have the "hello.message" defined in your
ApplicationResources.properties file which is identified in the
configuration file web.xml or struts-config.xml (see help docs for which
version)

If I'm not mistaken, Struts 1.1b is the only one defining it in the
struts-config file. (but I could be wrong, its only happened one other time
;)

----------------
If using within web.xml:
    <init-param>
      <param-name>application</param-name>
      <param-value>path.to.ApplicationResources</param-value>
    </init-param>

then make sure that you have the property file in

/servletcontext/WEB-INF/classes/path/to/ApplicationResources.properties

where servletcontext is the name of the .war file

If using within struts-config.xml:
  <message-resources
    parameter="path.to.ApplicationResources"/>

*see above for same location

JM