This doesn't change the values, but it does allow for a more dynamic use of
them, if I understand your question.

In your action class:

// save the message resource key
request.setAttribute("status", "status.success") ;
return (mapping.findFoward("message")) ;

And in your JSP:

<bean:message key="<%= (String)request.getAttribute(\"status\") %> />

The message thread this is from was called: dymanic bean message

HTH,
mark n.