From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 9:36 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: html taglib usage slooow

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Erich Meier wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:57:20 +0200
> From: Erich Meier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: html taglib usage slooow
>
> Hi,
>
> after adding a few more fields to a form (ok, after adding 20 more
fields...),
> my app became veeery slooow. It takes over ten seconds to build and render
> the form on a decently sized server machine.
>
> I am using an old nightly build of struts (20010910) and tomcat 4.0.
>
> Is there any chance to speed this up?

Are you counting the time your action takes as well, or is that just
rendering time?

Tomcat 4 users will notice some performance improvements in the latest
nightly builds (and 4.1.x test releases).  A lot of work is going on to
improve the quality of the code that is generated for JSP pages,
especially those with lots of custom tags -- which pretty much describes
every Struts app in the world :-).

For other platforms, this is primarily an app server issue -- there is
basically nothing that Struts can do to influence the Java code that is
generated for custom tags, and the Struts tag implementations themselves
are fairly optimized.

> Thanks in advance,
> Erich

Craig