On Thu, 23 May 2002, Michael Marrotte wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:22:28 -0400
> From: Michael Marrotte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: <html:select> selected="selected" ?
>
> I want an item selected...  I just don't want it selected like that, i.e.
> selected="selected".  I don't understand why it's generated this way.  Why
> not just selected?

Attribute minimization (that is, specifying an attribute with no value) is
a place where HTML violates standard XML syntax rules.  This matters a lot
for people writing to browsers that support XHTML, where doing so makes
the page invalid.  It's much better for Struts to use the expanded syntax,
which works the same on existing browsers interpreting HTML, and newer
browsers that expect XHTML-compliant syntax.

> --Michael Marrotte

Craig