Hi,

I'm running into some issue with implementing a DAO. I see posts that some
design use a DaoFactory, I don't understand the benefit of it. Is it
possible to obtain connections instead of using a Factory?

For example:

In my XXXAction class, I have

BeanDao beandao = new BeanDao();
beandao.executeQuery(sql, VO);

The BeanDao extends BaseDao, which has the following, where name is
"java:comp/env/jdbc/myDatasource"

        protected Connection getConnection(String name) throws
DatabaseUnavailableException{
                Connection conn = null;
                try {

                        DataSource ds = (DataSource) ic.lookup(name);

                        if (ds==null)
                                throw new
DatabaseUnavailableException("Cannot connect to database: "+name);

                        try {
                                conn = ds.getConnection();
                        }
                        catch (SQLException e) {
                                // log
                                e.printStackTrace();
                        }
                }
                catch (NamingException e) {
                        //e.printStackTrace();
                }
                return conn;
        }

This however, doesn't work, I get this error:

        at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:243)
        at
tyrex.jdbc.xa.EnabledDataSource.getConnection(EnabledDataSource.java:233)
        at
tyrex.jdbc.xa.EnabledDataSource.getConnection(EnabledDataSource.java:204)

The even odder thing is that instead of
        DataSource ds = (DataSource) ic.lookup(name);
I explicitly call using
        DataSource ds = (DataSource)
ic.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/myDatasource");

I don't get the above SQL error, instead, I get a
java.lang.NullPointerException when I try to use the connection.

I'm using Tomcat 4.03 with Struts 1.1 + Sybase jconn2.jar

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it. I looked up
on the tomcat mailing-list archive and didn't see any solutions.

Thanks,

Dean Chen