Da: Peter Onthrops [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Inviato: venerdi 31 maggio 2002 18.47
A: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oggetto: validator NullPointer- please help

I am having problems installing the validator. I am getting a
NullPointerException (see below) in the validate method of
...commons.validator.Validator. I followed the install instructions and just
can't figure out what it causing the exception.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validate(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.struts.validator.action.ValidatorForm.validate(Unknown
Sou
rce)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processValidate(ActionServlet.
java:2038)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:149
7)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:504)

        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:211)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:309)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:336)
        at com.evermind[Orion/1.5.4 (build 10585)]._deb._lnc(.:514)
        at com.evermind[Orion/1.5.4 (build 10585)]._deb._wmb(.:170)
        at com.evermind[Orion/1.5.4 (build 10585)]._co._wbb(.:581)
        at com.evermind[Orion/1.5.4 (build 10585)]._co._fs(.:189)
        at com.evermind[Orion/1.5.4 (build 10585)]._bt.run(.:62)

My configuration is as follows.

1) /WEB-INF/struts-config.xml

<form-bean name="myForm" type="com.ponthrops.web.MyForm" /> (MyForm extends
ValidatorForm)

2) /WEB-INF/validation.xml

<form-validation>
   <global>
   </global>
   <formset>
      <form  name="myForm">
      <field property="firstName"
          indexedProperty="member"
          indexedListProperty="members"
          depends="required">
   <arg0 key="error.firstname.displayname"/>
      </field>
      </form>
   </formset>
</form-validation>

3) validator-rules.xml includes the validator "required"

4) /WEB-INF/lib includes commons-validator.jar, struts-validator.jar, and
jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar

5) web.xml includes the example servet config given in the install
directions

My guess is I missed a configuration step, however I can't seem to figure
out where.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Petra