James,

I am working with a medium size application which contains both
static and non-static content. I'm integrating Struts and find
that my particular situation doesn't warrent using Struts for
static content.

I would suggest using a Filter to perform the
necessary logic before processing each request and map the filter
to the appropriate URL.

Later, if you wanted to go completely with a Struts solution, you
could implement the logic in the processPreprocess() in the
RequestProcessor(),
or move it farther down the chain into a base Action class.

HTH,

robert