The framework knows nothing of sql.

However, I have also pondered the using the message resources for something
like this.
I guess if your data layer had access to the message resources....you could
do something like this.

sql.customers.get=Select * from customers
sql.customer.get=Select * from customers where id = {0}
sql.customer.update=update customers set name={0}, address={1} where id =
{3}
sql.customer.delete=detete from customers where id = {0}

Although, this can get pretty messy quickly.
Have you considered using an OR tool???

James Mitchell
Software Engineer\Struts Evangelist
Struts-Atlanta, the "Open Minded Developer Network"
http://struts-atlanta.open-tools.org
ICQ: 27651409