> > I've wondered why Struts provides no specific User Management tools.
I'd
> > almost expect to see a user.tld tag lib and struts tags such as:

Craig,

Thanks for responding. I figured the answer was pretty much what you had
indicated.

I also appreciate the exception cases you identified:

> - You need self-registration capabilities (there's no mechanism
>   in the Servlet API to support this yet)

> - You need your app to run out of the box with no setup across
>   multiple containers (this is the one and only reason that the
>   Struts sample app uses self-registration, so people can use it
>   to see if they have Struts installed correctly or not.

So (for now at least) if I need to allow new users to sign up as part of
the app, I should have the app manage this. Or, If I want to be able to
deploy a .war file on a container somewhere without requiring the
"deployer" to configure the container, I should have the app manage
security itself.

To clarify - regarding self-registration. All I'd really need to build
would be just the registration pieces, wouldn't it? Once the users
registered, shouldn't the container manage their security the same as if I
created their accounts for them?

> Craig

Thanks -

Kevin