I don't mean to sound harsh, but if your post starts off with
"Waaaaaaaay off topic"... then it really shouldn't be posted.

A page on the Sun site about handling images of all kinds, and there's a
code sample for TIFF...

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/iio.html

It will get you to an Image object, and then from there you can pass it
to the JPEGImageEncoder or whatever. As I said before (off the list),
the information is already out there, you just have to go get it. I
found this by searching "java reading tiff image files" on
www.google.com and it was the third link down.

But I hope you get the solution you need. I already know that the answer
wont be from this list...

Arron.