Dare I say it... better info design. The most I've had was 500. From the
user's point of view, this is not good.

The freezing will most likely not be the server side, but your browser
slowly rolling over and having a cardiac arrest.  :)

Take the lower end of 100,000 options. If eack option had only one
letter, one byte, the dowload is already 1MB. Take that to an average of
say 15 bytes per record up to 300,000 and the result is one impressive
drop-down box.

Try getting the text that would be rendered into Html, get it into flat
Html, and then test it on the browser. I'm quite sure that you'll be
changing your mind and making it a free-text field real quick.

Arron.