Hello,

I'm looking at how the example .WAR applications
supplied by Struts 1.1 Beta release are expanded by
Tomcat.

Common/Shared packages, such as "struts.jar",
"commons-digester.jar", etc. are kept unexpanded in
the web-inf\lib directory.   However, classes specific
to the application were expanded into separate
directories:  e.g.,
\classes\org\apache\struts\webapp\example\memory\MemoryUser.class,
MemoryUserDatabase.class, etc.

I'm trying to understand the reasons behind this
deployment convention--What are the benefits of
splitting out application-specific projects/classes
into separate directories and .class files when
deploying?  (i.e., Can't they be more cleanly stored
together in a JAR file like struts.jar, etc. is?)

Thanks,
Glen