- In struts 1.1b1 (for backwards compatibility):

    public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
                                 ActionForm form,
                                 HttpServletRequest request,
                                 HttpServletResponse response)
        throws Exception {

        // Call the deprecated method for backwards compatibility
        return (perform(mapping, form, request, response));

    }

so you must implement execute() in your Actions. However apps developed for
Struts 1.0.* will run in Struts 1.1b1 for the previous.

- In struts 1.0.* does not exist execute();. You must implement perform().