From: Heligon Sandra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 1:09 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Display XML data with struts (XML<->JavaBean/JSP ? xsl tag ? stxx ?)

        I ask oneself about integration of  XML data (XML data are contained
in a string) with Struts.
        I read that several techniques are available:

        - 1) use an open tool to automatically generate JavaBean from the
XML string
        store JavaBean in session and then JSP use JB;

        - 2) use the Struts xsl:apply tag, with nameXml = string XML but
what is the easiest way to specify a XSL transformation if we don't know
XSL     syntax. I don't have time to learn XSL syntax in detail and I think
that XSL examples for sophisticated GUI are not so many         numerous. I
think that      XSL transformation must be used when we need to change the
output's content type but does that make sense when the user interface is
limited to      web browsers ?
        what is the best way (XSL parameter type) in term of time
performance ?
        Is it better to store an XML string in the session rather than
JavaBean ?
        - 3) use the stxx extension. Even if stxx first aim is to remove the
need to be use JSP and TagLibs for the presentation     layer,          it
allows  to manipulate JSP pages. This solution requires to define an XML
action forward in the struts-config file,                       and then
processing the  document object (document of type org.jdom.document) in the
JSP. It is not good to add JavaCode in the JSP  page.
        Has somebody any advice or comparison about these techniques in term
of complexity and time performance ?
        For the two first methods a Struts extension can be added to
Macromedia Ultra Dev to facilitate the user interface development and
        templates or Tiles allow to create a consistent look and feel for
the application.
        For the last point I suppose that XSL offer a similar mechanism.

        Thanks in advance for your remarks.