Gossip Craig :-)

The Weblogic support is very competent and really reactive due to the
enormous bug and patchs database they managed :-)
This problem is effectively a bug (among a lot of other) in WLS.
A patch correcting it exists.
Contact the support (even if you're in an evaluation period) and they'll
send you this patch.

Arnaud.