On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, 7:39:23 PM, Craig wrote:

>>  Agreed, that does walk into the realm of Big Brother code.  I guess
>> it's just going to be a rough spot for DynaNewbies.

CRM> Not any rougher than it is for people trying to understand standard
CRM> ActionForms :-)

     Correct me if I'm wrong here Craig, but where I noticed it was
     quite a bit more difficult is when you decide not to use Session
     scope for FormBeans that have ArrayLists with beans inside that
     also have ArrayLists (etc. with nesting ). I say this because if
     I remember correctly isn't one of the main differences between
     the DynaActionForm and the standard ActionForm is that the
     DynaActionForm ALWAYS calls the reset method (regardless of
     scope) whereas the ActionForm only calls it when in it's in
     request scope (or explicitly called?). This is where I think I
     was running into trouble, since even though my DynaActionForm had
     session scope it was always calling reset whereas my standard
     ActionForm in session scope was not calling it.

     So in my case if I wanted request scope for the ActionForm I
     still would have had to override the reset method to provide a
     way to initialize the ArrayLists (and I take it the beans inside
     with ArrayLists as well). In my case however it's not too big of
     a deal that this UserFormBean hang around for a while with
     Session scope so it seems much easier to use it with an
     ActionForm than with the DynaActionForm (since with the later
     case I'm forced to override the reset method and populate nested
     beans).

     This is probably a dumb question and I suppose I could try it
     before posting, but what would happen if I just wanted to use the
     DynaActionForm in session scope and then just overrode the reset
     method to do nothing? Wouldn't it still keep the values in the
     DynaActionForm since it had session scope and wouldn't try to
     set up unitialized ArrayLists, etc? (of course this would only
     help if the bean was in Session scope..but just curious if it
     would even work).

     Thanks again for all of your comments so far

--

Rick
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]