If you aren't accustomed to using JSP in your application, the initial
latency (that you say occurs the first time then is OK) would occur as the
web container compiles the JSP into a servlet.  If you were using JSP's in
your application even prior to Struts, then it may just be a need to set the
page to pre-compile in the new project.

-Arian