The latest nightly, in the tiles-documentation.war file, if you unpack
it, has a struts-config.xml.  If you notice (I'm assuming this is what
you referenced), the RequestProcessor override has been commented out.
 However, the plug-in element is there!

I'm basing my view off this information.  If that does not accurately
represent how to configure Tiles, then I am mistaken.  Mine works just
fine using the plugin though ;-)

I recall Cedric having said that the standard actions were going to be
able to handle definitions directly.  My _guess_ is that they're
removing the requirement for the path element to start with a "/".  To
be honest, I'm not entirely sure what all it entails.  I really think
you want the plug-in element though, and not the request processor ;-)
 If you find a definitive source that says otherwise, please reply here
and post a link to it - please.  I hate to misinform folks, but I
honestly believe I am correct.

Ah ... was going to send it as it was, but I decided to reference
Chuck's book.  If you look at the section "Configuring Tiles to Work
with Struts" (Chapter 15), you'll see a note he put in that says, and I
quote ;-)  :

With earlier versions of the Tiles framework, you had to configure a
special ActionServlet called ActionComponentServlet in the web.xml file.
You were also forced to configure a special RequestProcessor in the
Struts controller element. This is no longer true and a Tiles PlugIn is
now available and will take care of all of the initialization.

Thanks!

Eddie