You don't want it in the session if it's very big!  There's no reason to
load this data repeatedly (for each user!) if it is non-volatile!  Load
it on startup as I mentioned in my other post and merely reference it.
 If it is volatile you'll have to devise some strategy for updating it.
 Assuming that, when it is updated, you only have one "writer" (we know
there are many possible "readers"), you shouldn't have to serialize any
access to it.  That would be the most straight-forward implementation
(you wouldn't really need anything to manage updates).  If (parts of) it
may be updated by multiple threads, you'll want to either serialize
updates to those pieces or take the db hit to retrieve it when you need it.

HTH,

Eddie