I've done this two ways:

#1 - Have two action definitions that point at the same ActionObject.

addNewCustomer.do
submitNewCustomer.do

The only difference is that addNewCustomer.do has validate=false and is
what you call for all the initial displays of the form.  The submit has
validate=true and is what your form should submit to...

#2 - Make the validate() method figure out if its an initial display.
Have a hidden field in your form that it can check to see if it is
populated.  If not, skip the rest of the validation and dont give any
errors.

Hope that helps