How about this:

    ActionForward forward = mapping.findForward("error");
    StringBuffer buffer =
        new StringBuffer(forward.getPath());
    buffer.append("?forum_id=")
          .append(someValue);
    return new ActionForward(
        buffer.toString(), forward.getRedirect());

If you want to be a little more careful, you could check for a '?' in the
path already, before blindly appending to it, and then use a '&' instead.

--
Martin Cooper