Here are two ways to do what you want (without creating your own tag), as
suggested by Craig and Martin:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?[EMAIL PROTECTED]
he.org&msgId=425573

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?[EMAIL PROTECTED]
he.org&msgId=426577

(Martin's solution does not work with Struts 1.0.2)

You can see all the messages in the thread at:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SearchList?listId=&listName=struts-user@j
akarta.apache.org&searchText=bean_message+is+problematic

chris