On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 15:31, Howard Miller wrote:

> Perhaps you should read the relevant Servlet specification too.
>
> Yes, my mistake.. got it now - see my other mail.

Yep, sent mine before I got yours :)

> > How do I override the ActionServlet.init(). I can write the code but where
> > do I put it?
>
> That's a very basic OO construct.  Extend the ActionServlet class, call
> super.init() and then perform your own initialization.
>
> Yes - I know, I have written quite  a few servlets. I'm talking about in the
> context of Struts! As the servlet init() method is lost inside the struts
> controller class, I don't understand how I can override that.

Er, it's still trivial, Struts or no Struts.  As I said, extend
ActionServlet, override init(), be sure to call super.init(), implement
your own initialization.  And obviously use YOUR class instead of the
default ActionServlet in your web.xml.  The fact that we're talking
about Struts makes no difference.

> > Bootstrap servlet - what's that?
>
> A servlet that loads on startup ('load-on-startup' - also see Servlet
> spec).
>
> Ho hum.... yes again I know about that. But how does this fit in with the
> *struts* implementation.

Again, Struts is irrelevant.  It entirely depends on what initialization
you wish to perform in your application.  If you need direct access to
the ActionServlet servlet context, the either extend the ActionServlet
as described above, or implement a listener as has been described in
other replies.

> > Plugins - Is there any documentation?
>
> There are examples.  On the above notes, I don't know how you expect to
> know this stuff without researching them.  The definitive reference for
> all the J2EE technologies can be found in their specification(s), which
> can be downloaded from the Sun Java website.
>
> Thanks, but again I'm trying to get to the bottom of how *struts* handles
> innitialisation not how Servlets do it - I know about that. I *have* read
> the J2EE documentation. Sorry if I was not being clear - I am very new to
> this; but this is the struts-user mailing list (isn't it?)

Er, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that
Struts ActionServlet is a Servlet, no?  Struts is an MVC framework for
web applications - not a complete web application framework.  In other
words, using Struts doesn't mean your whole application uses Struts to
do everything.

So again I offer my previous posts and this one as advice.  Ignore at
will.

> Good luck :)
> --
>
> Regards