Are filters really _that_ hard to set up?  ... I've got probably 30 of
them going to sift and sort my mail -- continually having to edit them
as projects evolve (ie there is tomcat5 stuff floating around now, and I
had to edit my tc-dev filter).

I don't see it as much of a problem -- and most (reasonable) clients can
be configured to actually just delete messages off the server if they
meet certain criteria, so there's not even any need to download them.

+1 for tags
-1 for a seperate list
+1 for more fridays in the week :-P

I think the tags would really help us all "zone-in" on what is most
important to us.  As such, I think it would be helpful to everyone -
devs *and* users.  Think of this example (I'm going to pick on Cedric,
because he comes to mind):

Cedric downloads his mail - there are about 150 struts-user mailings,
but he's really busy and really just cares to see the ones for tiles
right now.

without tags:
Cedric probably has to read all the subjects, and he might still miss
something that speaks of a tiles issue but doesn't mention it in the topic.

with tags:
Cedric knows immediately which threads need his expert assistance, and
can even filter them to a (sub-)folder for easy-access.  Yes, when he
has time he can go through the others too (if he wants), but right now
he's quite busy (probably is but I'm speaking hypothetically, of course)
so he can just "cut to the chase" and take care of those people most in
need of his help.

... but I'm sure you all have your own view on why it would be a
good/bad thing.

Regards,

Eddie