Thanks Joe,

Just for clarities' sake, how exactly would I go about specifying the
collection in the form bean?

Does anyone know of any code examples that I could look at?

 > hi all.  I am somewhat new to struts and have a question
 > regarding the

hi. :)

 > If I wanted to specify the collection to come from an array or list
 > contained in a bean, how would that be accomplished?
 >
 > can I just import the bean class into the jsp and then use
 > collection=[name of property]>?

If my collection is in my form bean, this is how I would do it in the JSP:

<bean:define id="myCollection" name="myFormBean"
property="myCollectionField" />

labelProperty="myLabelField" />

 > also...if say I wanted to put this information in a utility
 > class to make it
 > available to a number of different jsp's, how would I tell
 > the tag to use
 > bean X instead of the FormBean associated with the page in
 > the config file?

If bean X is already instantiated and in the request/session, then all you
would have to do is change your <bean:define> tag to reference the attribute
name of bean X:

// do this in your action somewhere
request.setAttribute("beanX", new BeanX() );

// and this in your JSP
<bean:define id="myCollection" name="beanX" property="myGlobalCollection" />

Note that if this utility bean is global to the web app., then you probably
want to put the bean into the ServletContext, so that it's only created
once.  Then you would fetch it from the ServletContext in your action and
stuff it into the request so it can be accessed from your JSPs.

 > I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have searched the
 > archives and
 > found nothing.

Not a dumb question.  The docs for <html:options> are difficult to
understand, and the semantics for the tag's attributes are completely
non-intuitive.

 > Thanks in advance for your assistance.  It is much appreciated.
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Chris

For additional commands, e-mail: