Sub-applications may have their own resources.  That's not quite as
fine-grained as you are talking about, but it's a lot finer-grained than
it used to be.  Also, James Mitchell has recently completed a
DBMessageResources which will "suck in" your resources from a DB table
(you could use basically any JDBC-capable DBMS to store them; that's an
assumption based off the fact that he's using OJB).

Regards,

Eddie