I haven't read James' book. Mark is in the process of reviewing it and
sharing his experience with us. In the meantime, let Chuck's book
suffice. It's free for download (the review chapters are anyway), and it
will really flesh things out for you (I'll be *very* surprised if it
doesn't help emensly).

Having not read James' book, and having seen the example chapters out of
Chuck's, I would tend to recommend Chuck's. I'm not sure how long ago
James' book became available, but there could also be issues related to
new functionality in Struts 1.1 not having made it into James' book.
Mark could tell you more about that. I know Chuck's book really shed
good light on some of the more advanced features for me though. Thus, I
recommend it to everyone. Ted's book will probably be quite good too.
The tips he puts out are small excerpts from his book. Having found
several of them handy, I recon his book will be too. I wish I knew more
about James' book ...

Chuck said something about how each of the books' authors had a
different background, and how he figured, while there would be some
overlap, each of them would cover different things.

Regards,

Eddie