I think those admin actions went "bye-bye".  I don't know what your
servlet container is, but I can redeploy to Tomcat pretty quick.  It's
... I don't really see it as a "bottleneck".  If you wanted to really
"slick it up", you could stick in a deploy target in your ant build
script that used the (assuming you're using TC) Tomcat manager tasks,
and just "ant deploy" instead of "ant compile" and have your deploy
target depend on compile.  There's many ways to make this seamless.

You could also have an "updatecfg" target that would do nothing but
(assuming you're running the app out of the same directory you're
developing it in) just reloads the application -- which would cause the
behavior you want (I believe).

... there're obviously other ways.  Using an ant task can really
simplify your life, *if* you're using Tomcat 4.1 -- I don't believe 4.0
has such support :-(

Regards,

Eddie