From: James.Piper [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 2:05 PM
To: struts-user
Subject: [OT] Newbie Design best practice question

If I were to have a STRUTS enabled application where I had user types of
restricted_users, full_access_users, and admins and for the most part
the
content of the screens the different user types get to see are the same,
except for maybe Id like there to be a few extra bits of functionality
on
the full_access_users and admin screens that doesn't get shown on the
restricted_users screen, then what's the best way to go about this? It
will
probably also be that each user type will require some Action objects
not
used by the other user types.

Should I attempt to use one set of JSPs for all the different types of
users
and put logic inside each of the JSPs that says something like 'if the
user
is of type full_access_users then shown these extra few buttons', or
should
I give each type of user their own set of JSPs?

I am tempted to try and use one set of JSPs for all user types so that I
don't have to worry about maintenance of three sets of almost identical
JSP
files.  On the other hand I feel I may be asking for security trouble by
trying to have each JSP check for the user's user type - I also have a
notion that checking user types is something that I should be doing
elsewhere.

If I do use separate JSPs for each user type, would it make sense to use
the
STRUTS sub-application mechanism to separate them out?

Thanks for your thoughts,

- Jim

For additional commands, e-mail: