Hmmm...interesting problem....

I assume by "that part of the list," you mean when a user clicks on "C," the
first "C" word in the list is the target.

First, just in case:
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/htmlguid/tags7.htm#1227754

Second,
Using the HTML anchor tag (as defined above) you would have to program some
logic in the body of the <logic:iterate> like:

<%
String word = "";
String letter_1 = "";
String letter_2 = "";
%>
<logic:iterate name="alphaTreeSet"
               property="wordList"
               type="java.util.SortedSet"
               id="list"

  <%
    word = <bean:write name="list" />;
    letter_2 = word.substring( 0,1);

    if( !letter_2.equalsIgnoreCase( letter_1) {
        out.println( "<a name='" + letter.toUpperCase() + "'>" + word +
"</a>");
        letter_1 = letter_2;
    } else {
        out.println( word);
    }
  %>
</logic:iterate>

Not sure if this will work, but it seems reasonable.  Then, in your menu,
hyperlink the letters to the named anchors.

Mark