Vincent, I use JBoss with embedded Tomcat also.
When you drop a war file into the deploy directory, it won't expand like
Tomcat does, the extracted files are buried somewhere in JBoss temp folders.
I found them one time, but figured a redeploy is easier.

You might want to consider setting up your project so that ant will run and
drop the war into your ${deploy.dir} which is (conveniently) pointed at
%JBOSS_HOME%/server/default/deploy.

The only other option I could recommend is putting the extracted structure
in a folder with the same name as the war file (similar to how they do
jmx-console.war) and place that in the deploy dir.  Although I don't know
what would cause a redeploy .....possibly touching the web.xml or something
similar (as Resin does with its server.xml).

Anyway, good luck!!!

James Mitchell
Software Engineer\Struts Evangelist
Struts-Atlanta, the "Open Minded Developer Network"
http://www.open-tools.org/struts-atlanta