All:

I received several replies to my original question, all of which
indicated that, in order to do a forceful logout, I needed to use
FORM-based CMA rather than BASIC.  One of the replies recommended an
article on the topic, which I downloaded and read.

I implemented FORM-based authentication, making the changes to my
web.xml, indicating the login form and error page, etc.  The container
(Tomcat 4.0) seems to know that I want FORM-based authentication, since
it pops up my login page.  I did, by the way, include the fields
j_username and j_password, and my form action is j_security_check, as
per the instructions.

However, when I press the submit button, my browser gives me a 404
not-found error on the (nonexistent, of course) page j_security_check.
I've checked the Apache and Tomcat logs, and one of the Tomcat logs
tells me that it has "Configured an authenticator for method FORM", but
it still seems to be looking for a page by that name rather than
invoking the method.

Anyone have any ideas?

Charles McClain
Phone:  603.659.2046