I had this issue, but solved it fairly simply by using html:rewrite istead:

window.open('<html:rewrite href="reportReceived.do" name=
"investigationEmploymentHistoryForm" property="map">View
Employment History Report</html:rewrite>')

It looks a bit ugly. That's why I swept all the javascript rubbish into a
tile that essentially replaces the <html:link> tag for popups in my
application.

<tiles:insert page="/tiles/popuplink.jsp">
   <tiles:put name="hlink">
   </tiles:put>
   <tiles:put name="label">Your link</tiles:put>
   <tiles:put name="class">someCSS</tiles:put>
</tiles:insert>

The generated HTML looks something like this:

<a class="someCSS" href="javascript:void(0)"
onclick="window.open('yourlink.do?name=value','windowName',....)>Your
link</a>

It's a lot of code for a little link, but in practical terms its cleaner and
promotes reuse. The next step would be a custom tag. Actually, that sounds
like fun - I might do it today!