That's just how the specification states it must be.  Whatever is in lib
is in the classpath (quite literally - like you would add a jar).  You
have to have your package-heirarchy in the classes folder.  If you did
jar up your classes, and drop the archive (JAR-file) into lib, it would
work just fine.  I've done this.  If it doesn't work, file a bug on your
container - that's how the spec says it should work, and any container
that doesn't support it is "broke".

--
Eddie Bush